Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's All About Jesus

       Today was our second practice of our preschool musical at school. The narrator in the program is a set of grandparents and they are Skyping with their grandchildren. They won't be together for Christmas because of a snow storm canceling their flight. As I sat, watched, and listened to the children sing about the "real Christmas story," it made me really think about what it must have been like for Mary. She was very pregnant making a long journey and probably wasn't to thrilled about having to pay taxes! I can only imagine her thoughts. She then was in labor about to give birth to the Savior and had to do it in a very unpleasant place, a barn! She didn't deliver in a castle surround by family and friends. She didn't have the best health care watching after her or God's child. She was there with Joseph in a dark stable, pretty much alone.
      As I sat there and really for the rest of the day my thoughts were with her. I then began to think of how selfish I have been consuming myself with dates and travel plans. I have let my eyes wonder off my focus and drive in the first place, Christ. As Americans we get consumed with Christmas; gifts, decorations, and family. All of those things are wonderful but if we aren't careful they consume us, cloud our judgement, our prospective. Christmas very easily becomes about us and not Him! After all it is His birthday. Mary was alone, away from home, and in very unpleasant surroundings but if I were to guess, she was at peace. The Savior was there! She was holding Christ! All of heaven rejoiced and I'm pretty sure she did as well.




     Please, forgive me for getting unfocused on the big picture. Our journey is first and foremost a plan God has called us to embark on. It is to bring our sweet daughter home from China in His perfect timing. It is about loving and teaching her about that special baby born to us to save us. That is what Christmas is all about. Christ and Him alone!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment