Monday, January 14, 2013

Home

     After a very long journey from the other side of the world we finally made it home to Hokes Bluff, Alabama. We were greeted in Birmingham by a wonderful crowd of familiar faces. There were balloons, signs, flowers, and lots of happy tears. Ella did wonderful throughout the process of travel and even settling into her new home.
     Once we were home a couple of days and trying to settle in to a new normal, I found it strangely odd that even though I was home it just didn't feel like home. We were in China long enough to become use to the surroundings, culture, time, and even their food. Being home and fighting jet lag, change in diet and sleep just made things so foreign. Even my bed that I missed so much, just didn't seem the same as I remembered. As I stood in the kitchen washing dishes and looking out the window I realized this is not my home. This is just a temporary place where we are living.
   
"For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling. Because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith and not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it." 2 Corinthians 5:1-9 (NIV)
 
     It gave me great comfort to know that I am "normal" just struggling with jet lag and getting used to my earthly home again, I'm human, but I am happy to know I have a heavenly home waiting for me. A place where I will always feel "home" and a place that will be lacking nothing.
    
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment